Smell Gas? Don’t Panic, Just Call Us Now!
Gas Leak Detection: Don’t panic! You will likely smell a gas leak detection before it gets bad, but do not let that make you complacent. Understand the risks involved here: when you smell the rotten egg smell, call a plumber immediately. While a leak can worsen over time, they can also deteriorate quickly. Don’t take a chance. (Never hurts to ask your friendly neighborhood Rocket Plumbing professional to do a leak detection for you to be absolutely certain!)
Here are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning to remember – it could save your life:
- collapse or loss of consciousness
- symptoms which disappear or get better when you leave home and come back when you return
- other people (and animals) experiencing the same symptoms at the same time
It’s important to remember that while a large gas leak is dangerous, so are small leaks if they are of the carbon monoxide poisoning variety. Carbon Monoxide poisoning can cause long lasting brain damage. And unlike a natural gas leak, it is scentless.
Check for these warning signs that your appliances around your kitchen and bathroom may not be working properly:
- the flame on your gas cooker should be crisp and blue. Lazy yellow or orange flames mean you need to get your cooker checked
- you may see soot or black marks or staining around or on gas appliances
- your pilot lights may go out frequently
- you may see increased condensation inside your windows
Have your gas appliances checked yearly.
Why not have us come by and check the health of your gas pipes every year? Include this in your home improvement budget so that you can stay on top of one of the biggest investment most Americans will ever make in their lifetime… their home.
How long does a Gas Leak Detection test take?
Most of these leaks are pin-sized holes, so it used to be extremely difficult to detect where a leak is coming from. The tools have gotten so good, the uncertainty of leak detection has been greatly reduced. We now have hand held gadgets, the size of a pen, that can detect gas by passing them over the pipes. This is one reason why it’s such a good idea to have your plumber check for a gas leak on any unrelated visits. It’s a low maintenance solution to greater peace of mind.
Here are videos of EXTREME cases of Gas Leak Emergencies, brought on by neglect and unfortunate circumstances. We always want to be realistic about risks in our home.